Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day Late, Dollar Short

Well, as is typical of me I am late jumping on a bandwagon. I have decided to join in a 31 day challenge over at The Nester.  I've always enjoyed reading blogs, especially 31 day challenges. Pop over there and check out some of the fine offerings.

For my challenge I will be focusing on a more peaceful home.

Notice I did not say a peaceful home - with four children and the kind of life we leave peace is not something we hear a lot. I'm okay with that. 

What I'm not okay with is the yelling, crying, fussing, complaining, bickering, eye-rolling, foot-stomping foolishness that's been going on here lately. I know that some of is just that we stepped out of the lazy days of summer straight into the start-up days of  August and September.

I also know that I'm often the ringleader in the hoopla simply because I feel like a chicken with my head cut off.  I chose my blog title, If Mama Ain't Happy,  because that's been a favorite phrase of mine for years. It's been a favorite because it's true. I read, in one of the million mothering books I've read, that the mom is the emotional gauge of the house, and after 14 years of doing it I can say that it is absolutely true. When I'm frazzled my people are frazzled. When I'm angry my people are short-tempered. When I'm down-in-the-dumps my people can't get out of bed.

You get the picture.

The wonderful thing about all that mess is that the converse is also true;  when I'm at peace my people are at peace (for the most part).  So over the next 30ish days I will be focusing on a more peaceful home. I will be revealing some things about myself and our family that I'm not entirely proud of, but that I hope will encourage anyone who is struggling with similar issues. I don't think we do each other any favors by pretending that all is well all of the time.

Here's the outline:

31 Days to a More Peaceful Home

Week 1: A More Peaceful Me

Week 2: A More Peaceful Home

Week 3: A More Peaceful Budget

Week 4: A More Peaceful Family

I can't promise great pictures, although I'm going to really work at that, but I can promise authenticity. I'm not one for hiding things, except dirty laundry and dark chocolate, and I feel this could be therapeutic. I'll share everything I learn on my journey to becoming more peaceful.

Let's begin by throwing our hands up over our heads and yelling, "Serenity now!"






1 comment:

  1. "Serenity now!", right after the kids clean the house, etc. I did look up serenity and found there is a serenity drug, but apparently not very good. Don't try it. Try this:

    Serenity Prayer

    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

    Living one day at a time;
    enjoying one moment at a time;
    accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    taking, as He did, this sinful world
    as it is, not as I would have it;
    trusting that He will make all things right
    if I surrender to His Will;
    that I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with Him
    forever in the next.
    Amen.
    --Reinhold Niebuhr

    ReplyDelete