Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Highly Susceptible

Lee and I had not been married long when he learned how highly susceptible I am. He came home from work one evening and there was an extra place set at the table.

"I didn't know we were having company,"  Lee said.

"Yep. This is John," I introduced Lee to our young guest of honor. "John, this is my husband."

"Hello, Mr. Shepherd," the polite young man said, "I have been showing your wife the best knives in the world. Have you heard of ..."

My husband's eyes lit up, then rolled.

John didn't get to stay for dinner.  Lee informed him that we would be inheriting my mother's knife set someday.

I'm pretty sure after that there was some kind of invisible sign hanging over our door for all new sales people that read "SUCKER LIVES HERE - COME WHEN HER HUSBAND ISN'T HOME".

Part of the problem stemmed from the fact that saying "no" was all but physically impossible for me. The other issue involved my high susceptibility. I am highly susceptible to persuasive speaking, and obviously it doesn't even need to be that convincing. After watching a TLC episode I was convinced (for a short time) that we hadn't landed on the moon.

Sales people don't come around as much these days - I quit answering the door.  My condition has transferred, though, because I am a voracious reader. 

This condition can leave me quite confused, I'm telling you.  I read an article that spoke of the evils of caffeine, so I gave up my morning cup of jo. More recently I read a different article (same magazine) touting the benefits of coffee.  Now I'm back to drinking 4 cups a day.  FlyLady told me not to go to bed with a dirty sink, so I did whatever it took to empty it out before bed. Even if it meant putting all the dirty dishes in the oven  because the dishwasher was full. I heard that cooking for a month was the way to go so I spent weeks planning how to do that. However, in middle of my planning I read a book about saving money and apparently shopping for a week at a time was the best way to do that. What the heck?

My family never knows what's going on. My younglings are always asking questions such as, "Are we vegetarians this week?"  "Do we vaccinate?"  "Are we pacifists?"  "Do we use shampoo?"

Lee was looking for some plastic wrap the other day and couldn't find any.

"Kara, are we just out of plastic wrap or do we not use it anymore?"

I asked him what he meant.

"Well, I didn't know if you had read an article."



6 comments:

  1. Heh. Heh. Heh. Ask Hugh sometime about me and the "Split Ender."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. Too real. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously though, where is the plastic wrap . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara my brother Dodger really liked this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate - I will ask. Dave, I'm so glad that you can relate. Lee, we're not eating grapes this week. Roger, I can't believe that you have brought up your brother Dodger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the stories my Cara could tell you about the changes I've made from the things that I've read. I don't think she'd let me listen to Alex Jones if she knew the things he said.

    It's funny how kids latch on to their parents' worldviews without a second thought. Or disturbing. I've overheard Zara explain to other kids that her family doesn't believe in god. While I think the position is a valid one, I abhor her reasoning behind it. I want the kid to think for herself! I'd take a well-reasoned disagreement any day over blind obedience. Which is to is to say that exposing your kids to your own personal growth and shifting of ideas sets a better example than you realize. None of us has it all figured out.

    ReplyDelete