Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Interview with a Toddler

Mornings are my favorite. I (usually) wake up an hour before the kids, which means about 5:45. The unusual silence of the house, the way the sun comes through the windows, and my own thoughts uninterrupted are an oasis. I study my bible, have some coffee, catch up on blogs, and think about my day. I adore this time by myself.

Lately, though, I have an intruder. A short, diaper-wearing intruder. I will admit that resentment bubbled up the first morning I heard him sliding down the stairs on his tummy.  This little boy of mine is often full-steam ahead, but at this early hour he is just a bundle of brown-eyed sweetness. Last week I finally accepted his new early-rising as the gift that it is. This is our time together, for now anyway. Liam is getting into the routine, too. He knows coffee comes first, then talking. He knows that when I get my bible out it's time for him to get his books out. I don't even mind the interruption so much anymore - although I do savor the mornings when he sleeps in.

These mornings have awakened me to the necessity that all of our children have for one-on-one time. Quiet time with mom & dad in a family with 4 children can be hard to come by. I've been more aware of carving out fifteen to thirty minutes with each of our kids most days.  I am pleasantly surprised at the connection this time has sparked, and pleasantly surprised at what treasures are revealed during this time.

Here's a little video my guy and I made one morning this week. Well, two videos, actually. I couldn't pick, so you can. Or watch both for extra doses of cuteness. Hope you can take advantage of stolen moments with people you love, young and old alike.






How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of Heaven's Armies. I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the Lord. With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God. Even the sparrow finds a home and the swallow builds her next and raises her young at a place near your altar, O Lord of Heaven's armies, my King and my God! What joy for those who can live in your house, always singing your praises.  (Psalm 84: 1-4)
 

2 comments: